Because of the many great civilizations, notably Greece and Rome, Europe today has many remnants of those cultures. Fascinating concepts of engineering and building that these civilizations created are still used today in the construction of buildings, roads, cities, etc. One can only wonder how such feats of construction were accomplished so perfectly without the use of modern equipment or even mortar.
Many are open to visitation while others are not because they are still in the process of being excavated. Some are on the very site in which they were built centuries ago. Walking amongst the skeletons of buildings and seeing the remnants of their engineering is eye opening. There are also many artifacts on display in museums of fallen structures and their antiquities. Many pieces are made out of solid slabs of stone and marble by skilled artisans of that period.
Famous Ancient Sites & Ruins…
| || |
ℹ️ Web sites with information on European Heritage sites Guide
- Guide to Archaeological sites and Museums in Europe » Archaeological Travel
- Archaeological sites by country go to » Wikipedia list
- For Roman Sites go to » Roman Heritage .com
- For Greek ruins go to » Ancient-Greece.org
- Andante Travels Specialists in Archaeological tours.- 1,96 annual tours available in 18 European countries